The KEGRA Agripreneurs Forum is an annual regional agricultural skilling event that brings together over 1,500 members of KEGRA Village Agripreneurs Associations and other youth in different agricultural enterprises from all over the country, particularly greater Bushenyi Region.
The first forum was launched in 2015 as after realizing the need for collective learning in different agricultural enterprises that enhances skilling youth for employment in agribusiness The forum focuses on diverse agribusiness challenges, and finding working solutions to challenges as well as partnerships and networking. The event also acts as a Farm camp and experience sharing from most outstanding Agripreneurs of different enterprises.
The 2016 KEGRA Agripreneurs Forum was held on November 25th -27th, at Mothers Union Centre Katungu, Bushenyi and 977 participated in several activities.
The 2016 annual Agripreneurs forum was themed: “Strengthening Youth Agribusiness Development; Building Prosperous Communities. Young farmers and other participants were introduced to a mind-set orientation to enable them understand their role in creating jobs, through sustainable climate smart agriculture and innovative market linkages as well as use of ICT for agricultural productivity.
The Overall Goal of the forum was to promote the development of a market oriented and competitive agribusiness sector, with opportunities for young people and farmers to move up the value chain, by defining missing gaps that will help in building prosperous communities.
The specific objectives of the forum were to:
- Enhance partnerships between the youths groups and key players in the private and public sector, relevant to agribusiness development.
- Empower and skill youth in agripreneurship.
- Highlight the importance of youth participation in agriculture as a key pillar in creating jobs and fighting unemployment in Uganda.
- Enhance youth participation in the entire agricultural value chain as a mechanism to reduce inequality and increase economic benefits amongst the youths
- Enhance the role and importance of youths in fighting climate change particularly through climate smart agriculture promotion.